Advantages of UV disinfection
- killing of bacteria, viruses, and yeasts within seconds
- neither the taste nor odour of the water are impaired
- no formation of by-products hazardous to health (e.g., no formation of THM)
- no chemicals need
- no ecological damage
- method with low maintenance and easy handling
- low operating costs, highest reliability
Disadvantages of UV disinfection
During evolution, the cells may adapt to UV irradiation by developing several repair mechanisms. A distinction is made between photoreactivation and dark reactivation.
This means that permanent deactivation of microorganisms by way of UV systems is impossible. Such effects must by all means be taken into consideration when designing and operating the system.