Advanced Oxidation Process
By means of AOP, organic substances contained in water can be oxidised completely down to water, carbon dioxide and possibly other substances, such as HCl or nitrate, by using strongly oxidising agents, such as ozone or hydrogen peroxide.
Principle of AOP using UV
- generation of hydroxyl radicals from hydrogen peroxide by UV energy
- oxidation of organic compounds to carbon dioxide, nitrate, HCl, etc.
During this process " partial oxidations" of the organic compounds are possible, witch lead to decoloration or reduction of the toxic properties of organic compounds.
Advantages of the process
- The installation of a space-consuming biology may completely or at least be partially surrendered.
- There is no increase in salinity caused by chemicals.
- The process works free of waste material, so not loaded activated carbon, or sludge must be disposed of.
- The process can be monitored easily and has a high operational stability.
- Not or difficult biologically degradable compounds can be removed by AOP or made it bioavailable.
- groundwater which is contaminated with pesticides, VOC's, BTEX, phenols etc.
- wastewater with high levels of AOX
- toxic wash water
- decolorization of dye factory waste water
- demetallation of electroplating waste water
- improve the biodegradability of waste water from chemical industry
- improvement of BOD / COD ratio and thus the discharge requirements at a treatment facility
Important information using the application
AOP is no universal approach but a niche product suited for special applications. Any application requires a laboratory test or, as the case may be, a pilot test. The systems can be used in continuous and in batch operation. The electrical power required to be applied per m³ in waste water treatment ranges between 1.5 and 20 kW and strongly depends on the chemical composition and concentration of the substances.
example: 1.5 m³/h continuous: 2 kW to 30 kW (extreme case)
example: 10 m³/day - batch (highly stressed) in a container of 10 m³. 12 h in the circulation with a system 3-16 KW connected power
According to experience the following limits apply where the process is economically applicable:
COD < 1,5 g/l
COD < 4 g/l (Batch)
An important application is the improvement of BOD / COD ratio and thus the discharge requirements at a treatment facility.